The never-ending quest of most women is youthful skin. I have recently entered into my 40’s and it’s been quite an adventure for my skin. Not only do I get to fight wrinkles but I also have the joy of fighting acne as well! I get to experience old age and my teens all at the same time!
Daily exercise is definitely a benefit to our skin. It helps to increase circulation and get rid of toxins. Exercise also provides optimal conditions for our bodies to produce collagen (yay! ). But one of the biggest ways to help our skin look it’s best is through our nutrition.
Here are the most important nutrients for improving the youthfulness of our skin and prevent aging:
- Antioxidants – Vitamins A,C,E and Beta-Carotene – Antioxidants protect our body against damage from free radicals that cause aging – wrinkles and sagging skin. Increasing our daily diet with fruits and vegetables will benefit our skin and promote the production of collagen and elastin – 2 elements that keep our skin looking younger.
- Omega-3 – These healthy fats moisten our skin to prevent wrinkles as they are natural anti- inflammatory agents. Think of the way conditioner coats a hair follicle, consuming omega 3 daily will increase the moisture in our skin. Good food choices include wild Atlantic salmon, tilapia, halibut and mackerel, flaxseed oil, walnuts and omega 3 eggs.
- Water – Dehydrated skin looks old. As we age our thirst sensation diminishes so make sure you are drinking water even when you are not thirsty. Include berry herbal teas, filtered water (try adding a freshly squeezed lemon to detoxify your body) and green tea.
- Eliminate inflammatory foods – This includes foods made with sugar, trans fats and saturated fat – all of which cause wrinkles.
- Protect your skin from the sun – Age spots are caused by free radical damage from excess sun exposure. They are a result of a buildup of waste that is a byproduct of free radical in the skin cells. Factors leading to the formation of age spots include: Poor diet, lack of exercise, smoking, poor liver function and excessive sun exposure.
Eat well, exercise, drink water and be happy! As Mark Twain says “Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been”.